Feminist and writer Ozzy Etomi took to twitter to share her disdain to the testament she received in church when she came to baptize her son after caving in to pressure to do so. According to her she was a few minutes late after Mass had begun but the priest said he would baptize her baby because she was late.
Read her tweets:
Yesterday, I remembered why I had a huge distaste for the church in Nigeria. After all the disturbance, I caved in and agreed to “baptize” my son. The mass was supposed to start at 8am, we entered the church at literally 8.02am. All parents are meant to sit at the front row…
But because mass had started we waited till it was a time when everyone was standing to move to the front. When it was time for the first baptismal rites, the priest walks up to us “why were you late?”. I said we weren’t, we were just in the back. He said “come back next month”
Bypassed us and started doing the rites on the child next to us and moved down the row. I was stunned. Is this high school? Are we not adults? I am dressed up and my entire family woke up on a Saturday at 8am to attend and you decided to “flex your muscle”.
I was boiling. It was all over my face. I wanted to walk out. An old lady and gentleman sitting behind me tapped my shoulder and whispered furiously “dont worry. Calm down, after the mass is over just BEG HIM, just BEG HIM” 😑😑😑. Why does this have to become SO nigerian?
I leaned over to my husband and said “if this baptism doesn’t happen today, goodluck, im completely uninterested in this and today is likely to be the last time i step foot in this kind of church”. So the priest continues to ignore us through all the baptism rites (about 4 or 5)
While my family and friends who came are confused as to what is going on and why he keeps passing us by. After the mass is over, the older man grabs my shoulder and says “let us go to the office i’ll help you beg him”, and so us and my family (about 20 of us) make way..
To the office. Of course starts the cajoling and begging; priest with a smug expression like, theres nothing i can do, book another day, this and that. After much ego massaging and “begging” by my dad, man to man of course, he agreed to perform the baptism.
So we ended up getting the whole church to ourselves and a private ceremony anyway. All because even a priest in a church is drunk on power. SMH. Yeah, thanks for reminding me why I don’t go to church.
See replies:



Post a Comment